NEWS ALERT --- CASUAL CONVERSION CLAUSE IN MODERN AWARDS
If you employ Casual Employees, this ALERT will apply to you.
An entitlement for casual employees to request conversion to permanent employment is about to become law commencing October 1, 2018.
The Fair Work Commission has decided that a casual conversion clause will be inserted into 85 modern awards. An example of these awards are:
· Miscellaneous Award 2010
· Children’s Services Award 2010
· Clerks – Private Sector Award 2010
· Air Pilots Award 2010
· General Retail Industry Award 2010
· Health Professionals and Support Services Award 2010
· Social, Community, Home Care and Disability Services Industry Award 2010
· Storage Services and Wholesale Award 2010
· Security Services Industry Award 2010
· Passenger Vehicle Transportation Award 2010
· Real Estate Industry Award 20110
What will Change?
The ‘new award clause’ states that a person engaged as a regular casual employee may request that their employment be converted to full-time or part-time.
What do you have to do as an Employer?
As an Employer you have an obligation on and from 1 October 2018 to provide a copy of the casual conversion clause from your award to a ‘regular casual employee’ and if an employee takes the option to apply for a casual conversion, you only have 21 days in which to make a decision and provide a response to the employee. If you don’t comply with these requirements you will be in breach of the Award.
For further information on how the new provisions apply, what you can and can’t do as an Employer and how to best manage this situation without being in breach of the law - Contact Sharpe Workplace Solutions on Phone: 07 46915046 or via email: email@example.com